Basically, the STORASOL High Thermal Temperature Storage (HTTES) has the following essential characteristics:
Among the key features of HTTES technology is the use of sand, gravel, rock or stones in a fixed bed as a heat storage medium and ambient air or flue gas or gases as a heat transfer medium. The main advantages are following points:
- Air/gases as a heat transfer medium can be moved very easily in large quantities.
- The innovative division of the heat storage medium/material on multiple layers/walls allows high thermal outputs with very low pressure losses.
- The storage material is held by a novel lamellar structure and can be flowed through unhindered at any time.
- The fine grain of the storage material allows a very compact design due to the large surface available for the heat transfer.
- The modular design allows easy scaling. The basic standard size used is standard maritime container dimensions.
- Very low maintenance costs as well as a low own demand distinguish the HTTES technology to other storage systems.
Of course, the method and several design items are published worldwide and filed for a patent (see also international file number PCT / EP2011 / 063453 and international publication WO2012 / 017041 A2). Patents have been issued in several countries (USA, Japan, South Africa, etc.).
You can find more information in our download area.