The STORASOL High Thermal Temperature Storage (HTTES) has the following characteristics:
Among the key features of HTTES technology is the use of sand, gravel, rock or stones in a fixed bed as a heat storage medium and ambient air, flue gas or other gases as a heat transfer medium. The main advantages are:
- Air/gases as a heat transfer medium can be moved very easily in large quantities.
- The innovative division of the heat storage medium/material on multiple layers/walls allows high thermal outputs with very low pressure losses.
- The storage material is held by a novel lamellar structure which allows unhindered flow through the material.
- The fine grain of the storage material allows a very compact design due to the large surface area available for the heat transfer.
- The modular design allows easy scaling. The basic standard size has the dimensions of a standard maritime container.
- Very low maintenance costs, as well as low operational power consumption, distinguish the HTTES technology from other storage systems.
The method and several design items have been published worldwide and patented (also see international file number PCT / EP2011 / 063453 and international publication WO2012 / 017041 A2). Patents have been issued in several countries (USA, Japan, South Africa, etc.).
You can find more information in our downloads section.